Cancun coronavirus update: 58 Covid-19 cases detected so far

The municipality of Benito Juarez, which hosts the resort city of Cancun, continues to accumulate the majority of cases (58) detected so far, followed by Solidaridad (Playa Del Carmen) with 15 cases.

The overall situation of COVID-19 is receiving the highest levels of attention and action from the Quintana Roo state government. Photo: Scanpix
The overall situation of COVID-19 is receiving the highest levels of attention and action from the Quintana Roo state government. Photo: Scanpix

Two more people have died from the COVID-19 virus in Quintana Roo, in the last 24 hours, according to the latest report from the Ministry of Health, which indicates that there are 86 positive cases in total, of which 12 people have recovered.

As of Sunday's cut-off time, until 6 p.m., there are 354 suspected cases, of which 217 have already been ruled out, 51 are under study and 86 are already positive; this is an increase of 11 cases, or 14% in 24 hours.

The positive cases are broken down into four deaths, 58 in social isolation, 12 hospitalized and 12 recovered.

Benito Juárez has 58 cases, Solidaridad has 15, Cozumel 5, Othón P. Blanco 3, Tulum 2, while Bacalar, Isla Mujeres and Felipe Carrillo Puerto have one case. Only Puerto Morelos (whose general population goes to Cancun for medical attention), José María Morelos and Lázaro Cárdenas do not have cases yet.

Yesterday there were 72 cases under study, of which 33 were diagnosed. Today another 12 cases have been added, leaving 51 people to receive laboratory results.

The National Institute of Anthropology and History (INAH) announced the closure to the public of the 13 archaeological zones located in the state of Quintana Roo, including Tulum, the third most visited in the country.

Cancun closes

The municipal president of Benito Juarez, Mara Lezama, announced that she will close the beaches of Cancun "until further notice" starting Wednesday night.

"No one, without exception, should be on them," the local leader said.

She added that other measures that will be taken are temperature tests and random questionnaires, as well as control filters to identify cases of risk.

She said citizens should be at home except for those who carry out essential activities. "We will be strict in complying with these indications, with the objective of saving lives," she said.

Business closures

In Cancun, 40% of public transport has stopped operating

Buses and public transport vans will reduce their personnel and consequently the number of units on the streets, this as a preventive measure to avoid the spread of the coronavirus in the city, in addition to the fact that the news of the death of a bus driver from the virus mentioned above has been received.

The companies that will reduce the vehicle fleet of urban transport will start from this Sunday and will include the concessionaires of Autocar, Turicún, Alfredo V. Bonfil, Maya Caribe and Transporte Terrestre Estatal, who joined the prevention measures in the state of Quintana Roo.

No more than eight passengers are allowed in the "combis"

As of today, the 750 buses that still operate in Cancun are prohibited from carrying more than eight passengers per vehicle, as part of the new regulations of the Transportation and Roads Department of the municipality of Benito Juarez.

British Airways to suspend flights to Cancun

As of March 30, British Airways will suspend indefinitely its direct flights between London's Gatwick International Airport and Cancun International Airport.

Meanwhile, during April the British airline will maintain direct flights from Heathrow International Airport to Mexico City. However, the number of frequencies will be reduced to three weekly frequencies, according to the airline's website.

Public transportation in Cancun's hotel zone will stop running 24 hours

As of Sunday, and as a measure to prevent the number of coronavirus infections from increasing further, public transportation in the hotel zone will no longer operate 24 hours a day. Instead, it will suspend operations from 11 p.m.

This schedule is for employees who leave between 10:30 and 11 PM.

Night workers will leave at 10 p.m. in order to reduce the number of people on the streets to prevent the spread of the coronavirus. As for the schedule of public transportation in the city, it will remain the same. The last departure will be at midnight, with trucks waiting for workers coming from the hotel zone.

Businesses close in Cancun's traditional Mercado 23

This traditional market, located in the center of Cancun, in the municipality of Benito Juarez, was visited until a week ago by hundreds of people and even at some times of the day it was almost impossible to find a parking space.

The reality today is different; there are no cars, no people and not even tourism that was seen from time to time in that area. Given the situation and although they had prepared with preventive measures to combat the Covid-19, the reality also reached this type of business.

Coronavirus shuts down nightlife in Cancun

The situation caused by the coronavirus in Quintana Roo has generated that for several days the measures to prevent the spread of the also known as Covid-19 how to temporarily turn off the nightlife of Cancun, leaving the streets in iconic places like the Antros Zone empty, watching only as some vehicles circulate through the place, but few people walk.

In images that are circulating in social networks, mainly Facebook, you can clearly see the bars in the area with the lights off and doors closed, something rarely seen in the city, only a natural phenomenon had caused a similar action, which hits the local economy.

MX League soccer week in Cancun is canceled by Coronavirus

The MX League canceled the Football Week that would take place in Cancun as it is already a custom during the month of June, event in which the managers, technical bodies and other staff of the MX League and Ascenso MX teams have different courses.

The health contingency for the Coronavirus has stopped the professional soccer tournaments in Mexico and the world and therefore the directors decided to cancel this week so that these dates can be used to play the rest of the games and the 2020 Closing League.

First robberies reported after massive layoffs

The coronavirus, COVID-19, continues to affect the economy around the world and now the safety of Cancun's citizens has been on the line, as news networks have already begun to report thefts from passers-by, just after massive layoffs in the city of Cancun, Riviera Maya and Playa del Carmen, which number in the thousands.

According to reports in media and testimonies from neighbors in Region 247, robberies to passers-by have been increasing, where those responsible do their misdeeds on board of motorcycles and mercilessly rob anyone who passes by, regardless of whether the money they bring is the last thing they have to survive in these times of crisis.

Closed: 95% of Cancun's restaurants

Ninety-five percent of restaurants in the municipalities of Isla Mujeres, Cancun and Puerto Morelos have closed and are providing service through digital and home delivery platforms, reported the National Chamber of the Restaurant and Spicy Food Industry (Canirac); meanwhile, the Caribbean Business Coordinating Council (CCE) warned that the economic downturn is threatening business operations and job sustainability.

Marcy Bezaleel Pacheco, president of the Canirac, said in a statement that the COVID-19, a contagious disease of the new strain of the coronavirus, has collapsed more than 25 percent of micro and medium restaurants in Cancun, so many of the union members will not be able to open after the contingency.

Coco Bongo will be closed until further notice due to coronavirus

The company Coco Bongo, known for offering the best show in the world, this according to various internationally renowned media, will lower the curtains in the coming hours, so far have confirmed the closure of the headquarters in Playa del Carmen, who will cease operating this March 21.

Ventura Park closed due to Covid-19 contingency

As a preventive measure against the health contingency for coronavirus, the amusement park "Ventura Park" in Cancun has taken the decision to close the facilities as of this Saturday, March 21.

For now, there is no date for reopening, as the park administration will wait to see how the Covid-19 issue evolves.

Cancun International Airport closes terminals 3 and 4 due to reduced operations due to coronavirus

Cancun International Airport spokesman Eduardo Rivadeneyra reported that due to the reduction in air operations, since last Thursday, terminals 3, 4 and the FBO dedicated to private flights were partially closed, so only terminal 2 for domestic arrivals remains operating normally.

He recalled that Terminal 1 was closed when Terminal 4 began operating in 2018, so with this contingency, the real impact has been only for Terminals 3 and 4.

Cancun International Airport closed 2019 with the mobilization of 25.4 million passengers, of which more than 17 million were international passengers, making it the air terminal with the highest volume of international air traffic in the entire country.

Grupo Xcaret extends the closure of its parks until May

Although Grupo Xcaret had announced that this Sunday, April 5th, it would open its parks and hotel again after closing for two weeks due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the company has extended this measure until May 1st.

The specialists in tourist recreation will keep their establishments closed during the whole month of April due to the health emergency caused by the virus, dictated last March 30th by the federal government, the company has explained in a statement.

Airport reinforces measures to curb the COVID-19

The state of Quintana Roo shields itself against the spread of coronavirus. For example, the Cancun airport has installed thermographic cameras in international arrival areas to detect possible cases related to the Covid-19 coronavirus pandemic.

Cancun airport has taken screening measures for coronavirus. Stock photo
Cancun airport has taken screening measures for coronavirus. Stock photo

The installation of the filters and their operation is carried out by personnel from both the Cancun Airport and International Health who work in a coordinated manner to monitor passengers arriving at this destination from other countries, explained Aeropuertos del Sureste (Asur) through a statement.

The thermographic cameras allow measuring the temperature of all the people who pass in front of them to detect those who emit more body heat. All flights from abroad will be subject to monitoring by means of thermographic cameras, and this will continue until the health authorities determine that it is no longer necessary.

On the other hand, the governor of Quintana Roo, Carlos Joaquin, has reported that prevention measures have been increased in order to take care of the population. In this regard, he has indicated that students of all educational levels will begin Easter recess next March 23 and will resume classes on Monday, April 20, 2020, La Verdad reports.

The authorities have sent a message of tranquility to the population: "I want to tell you, as an authority of this municipality, that we are working and taking all the precautions that the international protocol commands, as we will detail in the digital media that we will make known through all our communication channels," said the municipal president, Mara Lezama, when she led a working meeting with members of the town hall and directors of the municipal offices this Sunday.