A study by OpenTable and Kayak showed that two of the best Mexican restaurants are among the 25 food establishments preferred internationally. These are Alux Restaurant (Playa del Carmen) and Rosetta (Mexico City), restaurants that are positioned in places 2 and 15 respectively among the favorite places to eat for tourists and national diners.
The list made by OpenTable, the world's leading platform for online restaurant reservations, and Kayak, travel search engine and reservations in tourism services, includes food establishments in Australia, Canada, Japan, Spain, United Arab Emirates, United States, among other countries.
To make it, the most popular restaurants were tracked, as well as the unknown ones that even escape the gastronomic critics. The purpose of the compilation is to help the foodie traveler discover the best-hidden treasures of gastronomy in some of the most popular travel destinations.
Similarly, the study reveals that 7 out of 10 Mexican travelers indicate that the culinary panorama of a city is a major reason in the choice of destination, "travelers seek authentic dining experiences, we have partnered with KAYAK to create a guide to help food-centric travelers find the best advice and recommendations in one place," says the executive.
What is it like to eat at Alux?
Alux Restaurant is an establishment located in Playa del Carmen. It is a cave more than 10,000 years old where Mexican haute cuisine is served with a menu specially designed for Alux. With international pre-Hispanic touches, it is one of the most distinguished in the city.
This restaurant offers appetizers from 200 to 350 pesos, with soups ranging from 220 pesos, and main courses from 330 to 1500 pesos. On the other hand, vegetarians are offered the tamal de hoja de maíz, a traditional Mexican dish made with polenta dough, stuffed with vegetables. It should be noted that the restaurant, which is located in a cave, has its kitchen on the surface which prolongs waiting times.
What is it like to eat in Rosetta?
Rosetta is located in Mexico City, in a Casona de la Colonia Roma. Its menu changes according to the availability of products and is distinguished by the proposals of Elena Reygadas, currently one of the most renowned chefs in Mexico.
Here you will find tickets ranging from 145 pesos; soups and plates of pasta from 175 to 1315 pesos; fish and meat from 198 to 590 pesos. They have cheese tables and an extensive dessert menu that includes coconut and citrus yogurt, pink pine nut, pixtle foam and merengue, white Creole cocoa chocolate, and Santa leaf, among others. Rosetta also offers ice creams and sorbets and is known for its quality in the bakery. It has a great variety of handmade pieces, at an attractive price.
The complete ranking
The list is dominated by establishments in the United States; with 10 restaurants it is the most mentioned country. It is followed by Germany with 3 restaurants; Canada, Spain, and Mexico with 2; and the United Arab Emirates, Australia, Ireland, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom, and Japan with 1.
- 12th Avenue Grill - Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
2. Alux Restaurant - Playa del Carmen, Mexico
3. Battista's Hole in the Wall - Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
4. Bistro Campagne- Chicago, Illinois, United States
5. Cafe Luxembourg- New York, New York, United States
6. CRUST- Miami, Florida, United States
7. Frances- San Francisco, California, United States
8. Gilda by Belgious- Barcelona, Spain
9. Mamma Maria's- Boston, Massachusetts, United States
10. Musso & Frank Grill - Los Angeles, California, United States
11. Nusret Dubai- Dubai, United Arab Emirates
12. Omonia Taverna & Bar- Frankfurt, Germany
13. Osteria Savio Volpe- Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
14. Paddock & Vine- Sydney, Australia
15. Rosetta- Mexico City, Mexico
16. Schnitzelei Charlottenburg - Berlin, Germany
17. Serafina by the Water- Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
18. Stella Cocktail Club- Dublin, Ireland
19. Terroni Queen - Toronto, Ontario, Canada
20. Tatel Madrid- Madrid, Spain
21. The Tap Room at Dubsdread- Orlando, Florida, United States
22. Van Speyk- Amsterdam, Netherlands
23. Westerns Laundry- London, United Kingdom
24. Wirtshaus in der Au- Munich, Germany
25. 開花屋 (Kaikaya by the Sea )- Tokyo, Japan