Nestled along the eastern coast of the Baja California Peninsula, facing the municipality of Ensenada, lies a true natural wonder—the Bahía de Los Ángeles, Canales de Ballenas, and Salsipuedes Marine Zone Biosphere Reserve. This pristine reserve, located in the Gulf of California on the west coast of the Baja California Peninsula, stretches across a vast expanse of approximately 387,956 hectares, making it a haven for diverse marine life and ecosystems. Today, we delve into the beauty, boundaries, and ecological significance of this hidden gem, which remains largely unexplored by the masses.
Encompassing a rich blend of wetlands, bays, and inlets, the Bahía de Los Ángeles, Canales de Ballenas, and Salsipuedes Marine Zone Biosphere Reserve presents a breathtaking spectacle for nature enthusiasts. Within its borders, the Core Zone commands special attention, with its 206 hectares spread across six distinct polygons: Estero San Rafael, Estero La Mona, Ensenada Los Choros, Campo Polilla, Estero de Las Caguamas Este, and Estero de Las Caguamas Oeste. These polygons serve as crucial sanctuaries for various marine species, comprising a mere 0.05 percent of the total area. In contrast, the larger Buffer Zone covers an extensive 387,750 hectares, representing the remaining 99.95 percent. This zone plays a vital role in preserving the reserve's ecological balance, acting as a protective barrier against external threats.