Learn How To Protect Yourself from A Cyberattack

The reality is that we could all suffer a cyber-attack, that is why we must be prepared and follow the following recommendations.

Learn How To Protect Yourself from A Cyberattack
Be aware of how to protect yourself from cyber-attacks. Photo by Nahel Abdul Hadi / Unsplash

Cyber attacks are a reality, those who commit them do not care about age, gender, or nationality, they want information, money, or personal data for various purposes not good. Sooner or later you will suffer this crime and it will be silently when you least expect it the only way to be safe is to have the knowledge to avoid them, act immediately and be proactive.

For this reason, experts from Cisco shared several tips for Internet users to be protected and prepared against cyber-attacks during the "Regional Technological Skills Marathon, Cybersecurity Edition" given to students of the Design, Science and Technology Department of the Autonomous University of Guadalajara (UAG), on the occasion of the Engineering Week.

According to Cisco's Director of Cybersecurity for Latin America, Ghassan Dreibi, 40 percent of a company's security depends on technology, the other 60 percent on people and their cyber education. The failure of cybersecurity, digital inequality, and the breakdown of IT infrastructure are factors that will mark Internet users and increase cybercrime. Find out more.

"Wars are growing, not in armaments, but cyberattacks. If this is happening at a global level, think at a local, individual level. We believe that, if we do not have password problems in our applications, we think we are safe, it is not the reality, the threat is there and they can do it silently, they are sophisticated, intelligent," he explained.

Indeed, we could all suffer a cyberattack, that is why we must be prepared and follow the following recommendations:

To survive a cyberattack identify your devices and their weaknesses and protect them.

Comply with regulations.

Choose simply and effectively.

Control critical points.

Have your security software regulate access control.

Integrate everything on a single platform.

To surf the Internet

Do not give out your data on any site.

Do not store credit card data online or if you do, make it a specific card for online shopping that you can easily block.

Activate double authentication in your apps and social networks, which refers to registering your face and password, for example.

If a cyber attack happens, don't panic, be proactive, solve the problem, update your software and seek to minimize the impact.

Be proactive, not reactive, and don't be pressured by cybercriminals.

Other practical tips on how we can be prepared

Use secure and different passwords on your accounts.

Use an administrator to generate and have unique passwords.

Think before you click, cyber-attacks start in suspicious places.

Update your software, criminals take advantage of every opportunity, old or outdated software allows that.

Authenticate your data and enable double authentication, either password or use of your face or biometric password (your fingerprint).

Make a backup of your data files, especially if you travel, your phone, laptop, or information might be stolen.

Avoid social networks in public places with internet access such as coffee shops, the street, and businesses that share a network with others; when you are connected, others can observe what you do.

Beware of social networks, commercial apps, dating sites, offers, and games that are familiar hiding places for cybercriminals.

Learn about cybersecurity with programs and tutorials.