These are the documents you must have if you are traveling outside the United States from California


During the year-end period many people plan to travel outside the United States, however if you are in an immigration process or if you are a permanent resident you must be careful when leaving the country and have the required documents before crossing the border if you want to re-enter.

What documents are required for travel outside the USA?
What documents are required for travel outside the USA?

These are some of the necessary documents a person must have before traveling abroad. If you have doubts about your immigration status experts recommend consulting an attorney before heading your way during this festive time.

Permanent Residents

According to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), people who have a permanent residence or Green Card can travel to international destinations without affecting their status. According to information provided by the USCIS to leave the country "you must present a passport from your country of citizenship or your refugee travel document to travel to a foreign country. In addition, the foreign country may have additional entry or exit requirements (such as a visa).

It is important to remember that you must present your valid and valid green card to re-enter the country, reports the USCIS.

However, residents who have had problems with the law may be categorized at the border as inadmissible because of their criminal record. "Upon their return, they may be put on second inspection and even put before an immigration judge if they have sufficiently severe convictions," Delia Franco, an immigration attorney, told Univision Los Angeles.

If you have a valid visa

For people who have a visa it is important to find out about the restrictions and limits that apply to each of them with respect to travel abroad. Those with temporary or permanent work, student or business visas can obtain information about the documents they need to leave the U.S. on the USCIS website. It is also recommended that you check the status of your I-94 before leaving the country.

If you have a pending immigration process

According to the Citizenship and Immigration Service, those awaiting a political asylum response, beneficiaries of adjustment of status through family unity, and people on temporary leave should not leave the country as they could face complications. "My recommendation is not to leave the U.S. There are so many changes going on that they may have problems returning," attorney Delia Franco said.

On the other hand, according to the Border Patrol, "if you are not a U.S. citizen, you may need permission to return to the United States after traveling abroad. This permission is granted through a travel document. To obtain documents such as "advanced parole," a travel permit for people with refugee status or multiple-entry "re-entry" must follow the process specified on the CBP page.

If you are a DACA beneficiary

In the case of dreamers it is possible to travel within the United States (including Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico), according to CBP. To travel outside the country must have a permit from USCIS ('advanced parole'). Information on the possibility of travel by DACA beneficiaries can be found on the USCIS website.

"If the DACA has not expired they can confidently travel to other states," said Aidin Castillo, director of the La Raza Legal Center. However, they must be very careful if they are going to travel to border states with Mexico or Canada because there are routes that can lead them to cross the border without them realizing it and in the worst case scenario the Deferred Action could be annulled by a border agent, Castillo said.

If you are an undocumented person

An undocumented person can only travel within the United States, however, you should be aware that when boarding an airplane you must have an identification document. Airports are governed by federal law so there may be immigration agents who have the power to inquire about the immigration status of travelers.

Source: Univision