Ixcateopan, the last settlement within the Mexica tributary system that was under the rule of Tenochtitlan
Located in the northern region of the state, 36 kilometers from Taxco, the Archaeological Zone of Ixcateopan, in Guerrero, was one of the last towns conquered by the Mexica, which served as a point of concentration and redistribution of the tributes of the region that were paid to the Triple Alliance, formed by Tenochtitlan, Texcoco, and Tlacopan, today is known as Tacuba.
There is little information about who occupied the site. According to historical sources, it is known that it was inhabited by Chontal groups during the Late Postclassic period (1350 - 1521 A.D.). In the Account of Ichcateopan, of Captain Lucas Pinto, written in 1579, it refers that this site was a town of Chontal origin, however, until now it is unknown about this ethnic settlement because it disappeared as a result of the arrival of other groups that were imposing their language and ideology.
Ixcateopan is also known as "the town of marble" because all its streets are made of this white material.
There are no known physical features or linguistic terms to confirm this. However, it can be affirmed that it was an important settlement at the local level, as indicated by the architectural distribution of the site, where there are spaces of a ceremonial and residential nature, but also storage and transformation of products or workshops.
The chronicles refer that Ixcateopan was one of the communities that had a close relationship with the Mexica empire, at the level of subjection, particularly for the payment of tribute to the Triple Alliance. In this place, the products were concentrated that in turn were sent to Tepecoacuilco, one of the Tenochca provinces from which the payments in kind were sent to the center of Mexico.