Lynchings in Mexico increased by 190%

During the past year, lynching cases throughout the country showed an increase of up to 190%, compared to 2017, revealed a study prepared by the National Human Rights Commission (CNDH) in conjunction with the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM)

The "Special Report on Lynchings in the National Territory" reveals the increase of cases with respect to 2017
The "Special Report on Lynchings in the National Territory" reveals the increase of cases with respect to 2017

In the presentation of the "Special Report on Lynchings in the National Territory", it was announced that the study documented that over the past year, 174 tumultuous aggressions were recorded, more than doubling the cases that occurred in 2017, During that period, 60 were documented.

As indicated in the report of the institutions, as a result of all the aggressions perpetrated en masse, a total of 271 victims were left, of which 21% lost their lives and the remaining 79% were injured.

Lynchings reflect lack of credibility in prosecuting justice, warns the head of the CNDH, Raul Gonzalez Perez stressed that the increase in cases is the reflection that there is a crisis in the credibility of justice systems, as well as the increase of insecurity in the country.

In the same way, the Ombudsman warned that this form of what he called "spontaneous justice" is one of the most serious expressions in terms of insecurity, violence, and impunity in the country, where he said, there are distrust and distance from the society regarding the authorities.

In addition, he stressed that in the five months that have elapsed this year, there have been 67 cases, with 107 victims, figures that stood out, are relevant if one considers that in 2018 174 cases with 271 victims were counted throughout the year.

By Agency

Recommended stories