Hurricane Elida strengthens in front of Los Cabos and borders on category 2

With maximum sustained winds already registering speeds of 150 kilometers per hour, Hurricane Elida increased its power off the coast of Baja California Sur, bordering on category 2 on the Saffir Simpson Scale, which is decreed when winds exceed 152 kilometers per hour.

Although Hurricane Elida will not touch land in Mexico, its cloud bands will leave rainfall, strong winds and waves of up to two meters high on the coast of the entity
Although Hurricane Elida will not touch land in Mexico, its cloud bands will leave rainfall, strong winds and waves of up to two meters high on the coast of the entity

According to the National Meteorological Service (SMN), the center of the cyclone is located this Tuesday morning 365 kilometers northwest of Socorro Island, in Colima, and 435 kilometers west-southwest of Cabo San Lucas, in Baja California Sur.

As indicated by the trajectory forecast, the system has advanced through the waters of the Pacific parallel to the continent, without entering the national territory. In the next few hours, it is expected to maintain that course, and move west-northwest, gradually moving away from the Mexican coast.

Although it will not touch land in the country, the system's cloud bands will continue to affect Baja California Sur, where they will leave behind rainfall, strong gusts of wind, and waves up to two meters high.

"We urge] the general population to take extreme precautions in areas of Baja California Sur due to wind and waves (including maritime navigation) and to heed the recommendations issued by the authorities of the National Civil Protection System in that entity," the SMN said in a statement.

In recent hours, Elida has registered maximum sustained winds of up to 150 kilometers per hour, with some stronger gusts of 185 kilometers per hour.

The trajectory of Hurricane Elida

Elida is the second hurricane of the 2020 season in the Pacific Ocean, after Douglas formed in late July.

Although Elida has winds of 153 kilometers per hour, which would elevate it to a category 2 on the Saffir Simpson Scale, the NMS meteorologists do not believe this will happen, and according to their forecast, the cyclone will already have reached its maximum intensity, and will begin to weaken in the next few hours.

Thus, the phenomenon will remain at the minimum level in the hurricane scale until Wednesday, August 12, when it will be degraded to a tropical storm, 445 kilometers southwest of Cabo San Lazaro, in Baja California Sur. During that time, it will continue to move west-northwest, just parallel to the entity.

In the early morning of August 13, 670 kilometers southwest of Punta Eugenia, it will become a Remaining Low Pressure.

Activity in the Pacific Ocean

In addition to Hurricane Elida, there are currently three other areas in the Pacific Ocean under surveillance for their risk of cyclonic development.

The first is located 200 kilometers south of the mouth of the Suchiate River, on the border of Mexico and Guatemala. It has a 40% chance of becoming a tropical cyclone.

The second of the monitored areas is located only 270 kilometers south-southeast of Bahías de Huatulco, in Oaxaca, and there is a 70% chance that it will turn into a tropical cyclone within five days. Despite its proximity to the continent, the NMS reported that it will move west to northwest, so it would not touch land in Mexico.

The third and final zone is located far from the national territory, 2,190 kilometers southwest of Cabo San Lucas, in the state of Baja California. It is slowly moving westward, leaving the country behind. It also presents a 70% probability of cyclonic development in five days, and 30% in 48 hours.